Pages

Sunday, June 4, 2017

To Avery's Pond and Back

Today was the day...
I was going to do it!

I got to the farm early
And was pretty quick about getting Nevel under saddle...
Well, at least quicker than usual!

We started at a brisk walk to Horseshoe Bar Road and on to the trail.
I don't like riding on the road, so had to deal with Nevel's lack of standing still.
But he wasn't too bad and we took off for the pond.

We  immediately made a wrong turn by going down the trail on the right that dead ended at the lake
Nevel had'nt want to go that way anyway and I should have listened to him!
We turned back and took the trail more to the left, which then circled around a ravine type area and then paralleled the lake.

I really wish I had pictures of part of the trail.  To me it is challenging because I am out of shape.
Consider it rock climbing in some parts for the horse...and bridges to cross.
Never does ok with bridges...but not this one.  There was a muck puddle right before it and he decided to slam on the brakes and start backing up.  I had to dismount, walk him across and remount up the trail.
We came across at least 5 muck puddles on the trail and each one I had to dismount to get him through.
We also didn't listen very well to Major earlier in the week and took a left turn and climbed a mountain...ok, not a mountain, but a steep hill for Nevel to pack my fat butt up.  We made it and I hopped off and walked Nevel back down after I realized we were in a NEIGHHHHborhood of what looked like Multi Million dollar homes to me!

Shortly before the staging area, I was hand walking Nevel across the park road and up a steep part of the trail that is gouged out and has high sides.  I hate these areas!  Nevel doesn't seem to mind them, but I was walking on the high side with him in the gully when I slipped on the gravel and went crashing down...Nevel startled and rushed forward and jumped up onto the embankment with me now In the gully on my knees...he rushed around a tree and had to halt at the end of the rein.

I did not have the presence of mind to snap a picture of him peering around the tree at me wondering why I was on the ground.  I was also happy he didn't take off since I was now almost 5 miles from home!

Finally we reached Rattlesnake bar staging area...(without seeing ANY rattlesnakes). and traversed onward to Avery's Pond.  I hand walked Nevel for most of the mile from the parking area to the pond since there seemed to be a plethora of young families and small children and strollers on single track trail!  Prior to the pond there is a lovely clear watering hole with gurgling and flowing water.  Nevel was interested but didn't feel safe enough nor thirsty enough to drink here.

Just ahead is a people bridge.  No horses allowed, so we ventured to the south side of the pond and shared mandarin oranges.  Nevel will eat anything I think...except goat cheese!

The pond is quite scenic.  Muffled sounds of children playing had Nevel perk his ears.
I mounted back up after passing the watering hole and Nevel took off at a trot.  We left most of the people behind in the dust and and only had to slow for one plodding family group of teenagers and parents.
From there we trotted and cantered all the way to the end of the trail...Nevel leaping over creeks, charging through the muck puddles and also charging back down the rock climb we had done on the way out.
When were just about a mile from home he started hollering for his pasture friends.
I hopped off when we came to the road and hand walked him home.
Tired, dusty and happy...11 miles.

No comments: