Pages

Wednesday, September 26, 2012


Thanks everyone-great advice/perspectives.  I agree with most of it.

I have come to the conclusion that Falcon needs a break.  But I am also not sure that he is the horse for me at this point in my life.  (almost 53 with creaky knees)

Falcon was accustomed to being on 15 green acres in Virginia...roaming the hillsides with 3 other horses.  When riding time came he had already worked out most of his silliness from galloping up the hill to the barn for a handful of grain before saddling.  Now he has been paddocked for months with strange things going on.

I don't want him to go to a bad home or worse though and have decided to give him until the end of the year-on pasture and hopefully some desensitization and a barefoot trimmer.  I did find a person on-line in Auburn-who also sells the Easyboots.  Don't know if anyone knows anything about this person and her capabilitites-though she does offer sessions to teach the horse to stand quietly for trimming.

Below is a pic of Falcon during the first hour of his shoeing-prior to the crazy rearing and subsequent problem attention to his feet.  As you can see he seems to be mainly relaxed and not causing problems.














The other thing is the nonsense of him not being able to tolerate the girth being tightened nor mounting from the ground.
When I had him I always pulled up the girth very easily until it was flat on him but not tight.  I would then either stretch out his front legs or walk him a few steps and put on his bridle then tighten it a little more...enough so the saddle would not slip when I stepped into the stirrup.
I am a slow mounter and sometimes have to work a kink out of my hip once aboard...but after that I can go for miles at a trot...is there any other way to ride?  ; )

So that will have to be worked on all over again! grrrrr!
I agree with the advice to hand walk him and reintroduce stuff slowly to him...so that I can at least find him a good home.

The shorter days don't leave me much time now either...but the good news is that my job description is changing for the interim of I don't know how long and so I will go in to work earlier and hopefully get off much earlier in the day at least a couple of days a week-such must be the life of O.R. management.

When I lived in Virginia I only worked about 20 hours a week and rode my horses EVERYDAY but was afraid I would go hungry.  Now I work 50 hours a week, am overfed and never ride horses...where is the happy medium?   zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
What is the endurance saying?
"You can rest when you die?"






No comments: