Pages

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Muley Bluz

I have been to Montana numerous times and every time driving along Highway 93 in to town I see the sign for Muley Bluz.  There are a couple of saddles hanging out with the sign, that no doubt must be quite weather worn by now...I didn't even get a picture of them!!!  WHAT AILS ME????

Well, in my mind, the goal was to go into the store, but I never did until this year.  It is a small shop, with some fancily tooled western saddles in the window.  Inside are a few racks of used saddles and along the walls hang some racks of luscious smelling new leather bridles and breastplates.


A feller about my age sprung out of the back and heartily said..."are ya ready to spend some money today?"
Sadly I disappointed him with a "nope."
I then told him the sad story of my air-conditioning dying in my car in Winnemucca, NV and having to drive for a day and a half in 101 degree heat...then arriving in Ronan and having to spend more than what I had budgeted for in spending money for the trip...way more, like...700$ more...so I guess he then believed me that I really really couldn't spend any money there.

Mainly they just repair saddles there, but also make belts and all of the new leather tack hanging on the racks, so I moseyed around and he pointed out the differences in the bridles that I was eying hungrily.
Finally I chose a well made/simple bridle with "Ronan, Montana" stamped on the side.

I happily left with a purchase that didn't break my budget. (a budget that I know longer had anyway, so you can't break it if you don't have it right?)

I have a pair of buttery soft reins that I received from Allegheny Saddles for free after they made a mistake on my saddle...so I needed a headstall to go with the reins.

I tend to prefer the bright colors and ease of cleaning with my biothane tack, but something in me just loves the good old fashioned feel and smell of leather.

There is just something good about buying "American Made"  whether it is biothane or leather!

No comments: