Pages

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Side Swiped

Nevel and I  decided to try a new trail.
In all the years we have been at the barn
we have never taken the Horseshoe bar road loop.

I hand walked Nevel down the road.
Then also up and down the hills on the dirt path
Until we reached the gate through to the real trail.
A large flat rock presented itself for me to utilize
as a mounting block.
Nevel wouldn't stand still
It took numerous reminders
Numerous repositioning
with help of my trusty crop

Finally aboard we headed left towards Rattlesnake bar.
Nevel was acting antsy
Some hikers came our way and asked how to find Avery's pond.
I pointed them up the trail and turned myself around to head towards Sterling Pointe.

A mucky section of trail
Downhill
Flanked by mossy rock on one side
Steep embankment on the other
Gave Nevel pause and he wheeled around
Heading back for Horseshoe Bar road.

I turned him back around and encouraged him to cross the muck.
He snarfed
He blew
He looked for other ways around...
Finally he decide to leap upwards on to the embankment
So much for letting him have his head to decide the best way...
My neck got sideswiped.

No worries
We continued onward

More hikers
with a silently aggressive dog
They pulled to the side of the trail
which was narrow
caving in towards the steep embankment downwards...
Nevel didn't want to pass the dog.

I chirped
He slipped in the weakened trail
Made it through yet another obstacle....











Aahhh. Finally....8.4 mph trot
Then
SLAM on the BRAKES
A large hewn tree
plenty wide for us to pass through the split sides...

Not Nevel....wheel around again...
STOP!  WHOAHHH!
I get off
We hike up to and through
He acts like it was no big deal...no hesitation at all.

Attempt to remount
Slippy saddle cuz he's all sweaty
Tighten girth
Attempt again...he misbehaves and won't stand still
AGHA!
Back on....up the trail we go
He behaves all the way to the rubber covered bridge
That used to have that Realestate sign

Dances sideways across
Then Good boy all the way home.
I've decided the main issue is that saddles just roll around on him
I'm not balanced
And both of us just wobble up the trail




No comments: