Pages

Sunday, April 12, 2020

New Trails with Nevel and Persee

On Friday I rode Nevel 6 miles on new trails
Well, I say I rode 6 but really it was 5 because I hand walked him down the lane
And had to open a big gate.
Then he was SOOOOO bad hollering for Persee
That I had to lunge his belligerent self until he complied!!!

I regret I did not take any pics.
It was a spectacular 67 degree, blue sky kind of day.
Emerald grasses
Yellow, pink and purple flowers
A whole hillside dotted with wild iris.
Nevel put in some nice 12 mph trots and also cantered into the wind-it was a nice ride.


On Saturday I was scheduled to ride with the barn owner and Sue at noon
No one was around when I arrived at 11 so Nevel was groomed and had a “grass walk.”
At 1145 -still no one in sight so I texted both of them...no answer.
I groomed saddled Persee up.  I had his scoot boots on for the first time so walked him up and down the lane a few times.
At 1230 I tired of waiting and took Persee down the lane.
He was spooking-well-stepping sideways at every little flitting bug...but then marched through a gauntlet of white styrofoam blocks near the gate.

Through the gate we went.  He stood stock still while I mounted. Then we were off.
He side stepped at a bush and a change of color in the trail then settled in with nice walking and trotting.
He was very suspicious of a pair of hikers and also a pair of riders.  After that we saw plenty of people out hiking and he even posed nicely for those who wanted to take a photo.

The biggest spook he had on the return home was a gauntlet on a very narrow section of trail 
between a large fallen tree and a culvert with trickling water.  He attempted to turn around but the trail crumbled at his right hind so he opted to quiver his way forward, jammed on his brakes at the culvert then hopped over and headed for home-we survived!  First time on the trail since ummmmm August or Sept ?  I need to change that,  his trot is so much more comfortable then Nevels-but I’m not brave enough to canter on him yet.
The scoot boots worked fine but did not get fully tested as we only went through one slightly soggy area.  They are definitely quieter and less clunky then Nevel’s Cavallos.
Not excited about posing in the poppies!  Ha!




No comments: